Northern Maine Regional Educator
The Holocaust and Human Rights Center of Maine (HHRC) promotes universal respect for human rights through outreach and education. Using the lessons of the Holocaust and other events past and present, we encourage individuals and communities to reflect and act upon their moral responsibilities to confront prejudice, intolerance and discrimination. The HHRC seeks a regional northern Maine educator to deliver quality educational programming in the areas of Holocaust history and human rights to middle and high school students across northern Maine. The part-time position is 20 hours per week during the school year.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Deliver educational workshops and seminars on topics including Holocaust history and human rights to students, grades 5 through 12, in schools across northern Maine.
- Participate in training at the HHRC to achieve mastery of HHRC subject matter, curriculum and materials developed in collaboration with Facing History and Ourselves and the Southern Poverty Law Center’s Teaching Tolerance.
- Recruit teachers and schools to participate in the HHRC programming including student workshops, class visits to the Michael Klahr Center and teacher training.
- Manage scheduling for programming with all schools in Aroostook, Hancock, Penobscot, Waldo and Washington counties.
- Represent the HHRC in schools and to the public.
- Promote the HHRC’s educational programming as appropriate through social media.
- Assist in program evaluation and review.
- Support ongoing curriculum review and development.
- Assist the Associate Director as required.
- Minimum 3-5 years teaching experience strongly preferred.
- Work experience in human rights, civil rights or Holocaust education preferred.
- Demonstrated skills in public speaking, particularly to children and youth.
- Demonstrated training or expertise in Holocaust history, human rights and/or civil rights.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy with regards to educational content.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Curriculum development experience preferred.
- Minimum B.A. or B.S. required. Teaching certificate or master’s degree in relevant subject matter preferred.
Salary & Benefits: This is a part-time position of approximately 20 hours per week for the duration of the the 2019-2020 school year. Hourly rate depends upon experience. Flexible schedule and ability to drive to schools required. Must have reliable transportation and a personal cell phone (mileage and phone reimbursed.) This employee is encouraged to work from home or on-site in schools and will be provided with an iPad to facilitate remote work.
The HHRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with federal, state, and local laws, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, or disability.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter and a list of three references to Philip.firstname.lastname@example.org by September 3.