- This event has passed.
The Holocaust and Human Behavior: A Facing History and Ourselves Program
July 9, 2019 - July 10, 2019$150
July 9th and 10th from 9:00am-4:30pm both days
In today’s world, questions of how to best build and maintain democratic societies that are pluralistic, open, and resilient to violence are more relevant than ever. Studying the Holocaust allows students to wrestle with profound moral questions raised by this history and fosters their skills in ethical reasoning, critical thinking, empathy, and civic engagement—all of which are critical for sustaining democracy. In this two-day workshop—featuring the fully revised, digital edition of Holocaust and Human Behavior—teachers will:
- Learn current scholarship on the history of the Holocaust and new research focused on human behavior, group dynamics, and bias
- Increase their ability to facilitate respectful classroom discussions on difficult issues such as racism, antisemitism, and other forms of exclusion in a way that invites personal reflection and critical analysis
- Learn a new way of structuring curriculum to help students connect history to their own lives and the choices they make
- Engage with classroom-ready multimedia resources and learn how to build a customized unit that meets your curriculum objectives
- Discover new teaching strategies that help students interrogate text, think critically, and discuss controversial issues respectfully
This workshop is intended for middle and high school teachers of history, literature and humanities. Independent evaluation has shown that implementing Facing History’s approach improves students’ higher-order thinking skills, increases students’ civic efficacy and engagement with civic matters, and increases students’ tolerance for others who hold contrary views from their own.
Cost: $150, includes the latest HHB book from Facing History, light breakfast, lunch, and snacks all day. Full Tuition Scholarships are available.
Who should attend: Current or pre-service 6-12 ELA/English and Social Studies/History teachers.
Paying with a check or purchase order? Download THIS FORM.