- This event has passed.
Teacher Seminar: Holocaust and Human Behavior (Facing History And Ourselves)
July 6 @ 9:00 am - July 17 @ 11:00 am
Holocaust and Human Behavior, presented in partnership with Facing History and Ourselves
- Learn current scholarship on the history of the Holocaust and new research focused on human behavior, group dynamics, and bias
- Increase their ability to facilitate respectful classroom discussions on difficult issues such as racism, antisemitism, and other forms of exclusion in a way that invites personal reflection and critical analysis
- Learn a new way of structuring curriculum to help students connect history to their own lives and the choices they make
- Engage with classroom-ready multimedia resources and learn how to build a customized unit that meets your curriculum objectives
- Discover new teaching strategies that help students interrogate text, think critically, and discuss controversial issues respectfully
This workshop is intended for middle and high school teachers of history, literature and humanities, as well as preservice teachers. Independent evaluation has shown that implementing Facing History’s approach improves students’ higher-order thinking skills, increases students’ civic efficacy and engagement with civic matters, and increases students’ tolerance for others who hold contrary views from their own.